Friday, March 30, 2007

Sport of archery catches wind in North Iowa

North Iowa schools are incorporating archery into their physical education classes through the Iowa Archery in the Schools Program.

North Iowa Middle School was the site of a program tournament on March 22 with 44 students from three school districts participating.

“To me it is a stress reliever,” said Jordan Garcia, an eighth grader at Northwood- Kensett.

“I like that it gives kids something to do other than get in trouble and it is fun.”

“It teaches students discipline as well as sportsmanship,” said Juanita Stevens, physical education instructor and archery coach for the North Iowa Middle School. “It builds confidence and upper arm strength. The neat thing about archery is that it is for everyone, even the non-athletic students. You can even apply math and science concepts to this sport when practicing what angles to use for aim.”

Students participating in the tournament were from North Iowa, West Hancock, and Northwood Kensett school districts.

“I think archery is a fun sport,” said Laura Mastin, an eighth grader at North Iowa. “It is not a sport a lot of schools have. I think it is cool that our school offers this opportunity to us.”

“It improves your eye and hand coordination,” said Javier Vasques, a West Hancock participant. “It’s a lot of fun.”

Serving as referee was John Carlson of Lake Mills, president of the Iowa State Archery Association and a board member of Iowa Archery in The Schools Program.

“This program is in over 50 school districts,” said Carlson. “We are currently having P.E instructors apply the sport of archery to their classes.”

Other schools offering the Iowa Archery in the Schools Program include Lake Mills, Forest City, Garner, Belmond and Mason City.

All archery students are eligible to attend the National Archery in the School Program Tournament to be held Saturday in Johnston. Archers will compete to qualify for the the Nationals in Louisville, Ky. in June. Iowa’s first state Archery in the Schools Tournament will be held March 2008 in Des Moines.

7 comments:

Swaroop George said...

Really good blog...

Keep up the good work..

Regards,
www.agloco.com/r/BBCJ4798

Professor Howdy said...

.

Dear Friend,

After much thought, I have decided
to leave 'Thought & Humor'.

The reasons are many but they all boil
down to this: Nobody writes me anymore
so it must mean that they don't like me
or my college jokes, riddles, cartoons
or funny pictures:O(

I was hoping people would contact me
by posting a kind message in the
"comments" on my blog but few have.

Goodbye, Auf Wiedersehen, Au Revoir, AdiĆ³s
Howdy

P.S. All of you liberals can now be happy
because I am giving up. You have finally
won after 10 years of publishing...

P.P.S. The sad song playing on my blog
really fits my mood! You know I think
that I might have possibly visited your
site awhile back. Do you remember
or am I wrong?

Jason said...

Maybe it is just me, but giving middle school kids bows and arrows (even in a structured setting) scares the hell out of me.

Jillie Bean (AKA Bubba's Sis) said...

My 13-year-old daughter (7th grade) and 10-year-old son (4th grade) LOVE archery! They are just getting started with it, but they really enjoy it and want to keep practicing to get better. I wish our schools around here (Houston area) offered archery lessons/competitions.

Julian G said...

Hey! What a unique and interesting blog...I wish my school had archery.

valve said...

hello````
my name is lily`
welcome to my blog http://www.lilysweetroom.blogspot.com

Bijoy said...

interesting and funny stuff you have got here keep up the good work.

regards Biby - Blog